Skip to main content

Why Trainers Aren't Synergestic??????


A year ago, my very dear Trainer friend Bhupesh Dave (a Magician too!) sponsored my ticket to a very vibrant session of Deepak Chopra at Shanmukhanand Hall, Mumbai.

After the session, 4 of us Trainers (myself, Bhupesh, Sachin Kamath & Rajesh Tagore had an interesting conversation.

Our observation was that Deepak Chopra in his 3 hour session, in his examples / andedotes / explanations dropped names of some important people like Dalai Lama etc.and surprisingly also of Trainers/Speakers. He also referenced books & articles of fellow trainers/speakers (who probably could be considered his competitors).

Now cut to sessions by an Indian Trainer / Speaker. It's always about ourselves and when we do talk about other Trainers / Speakers, it would be more of Western Trainers/ Speakers/Authors whom either we have/haven't met or the audience may never have met. Rarely have I seen any Trainer mentioning about him/her having learnt from a colleague Trainer/Speaker from India itself.

Now why is this so?
Wouldn't the pie grow bigger if we could reference each other in a gathering. Wouldn't this lead to a better awareness amogst the people about L&D and who would/could specialize in certain topics.

OR are we frightened of loosing our business if we reference others? Why is it that we Trainers try to deliver all kinds of Topics rather than specialze in just a few which are our strengths?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with late-comers in workshops

One of the challenges every Facilitator / Trainer has to deal with is the learners coming in late. My advise: If more than half of the expected learner group are in the room, I kick-off my program.  When the late-comers arrive, I acknowledge them with 'eye contact' - at times integrate them with a quick recap of what I have covered. If less than half are in the room, then I ask the sponsor (HR / Business) what should be done? - most of them advice a wait of at least 15 mins. We then announce this to those present - so that they can have coffee or maybe catch up on a call or two.  In the meantime the sponsor starts calling/texting the no-shows to find out what is happening. After the extended time lapses, we just start. I won't be harsh with penalty because in most of the India cities, traffic can be unpredictable. In certain regions of India (where late-coming is seen as okay), I would start with a fun/intro/ice-breaker activity which takes about 15 to 20 m

13 Ways to Engage Gen Z - published by Human Capital December 2017 issue

We have for ever lived in hierarchy. We had Rajwadas, and Raja’s and Rani’s! And then the Maha Mantri, the Mantri’s and the Peshwa’s. We lived in Hierarchy. Then came the Queen from land-afar and this took the whole hierarchical bit 100 notches higher. And then in spite of democracy for the about last 70 years, we still are deep-rooted in hierarchy.  Organisations are legal entities and yet we have similar hierarchical structures that define many aspects in an organisation from decision-making, office-cabins, cafeterias (esp. in manufacturing) and where one is allowed to Park etc. In some places even the Washrooms are hierarchical rules of entry. Funnily, many curse these discriminations however the same people aspire promotions not for the challenge of the enhanced deliverables or for the sense of leading people, but mostly for the ‘power’ that they would enjoy in those positions. However, as Bob Dylan professed in the 60’s in his song The Times They Are A-Changin'

The Khaa-mat!!! of Networking

The Art of Building POWER 1st Connects in Focused Networking “Hi, I am Ajit Kamath, (in Hindi) log mujhe kehte hai Khaa... (pause) mat, lekin mera nam hai Ajit Kamath”, Translating in English - “Hi, I am Ajit Kamath, people tell me DON’T EAT! (that’s the literal Hindi translation of Khaa Mat), however my name is Ajit Kamath”. For a bit-plump-on-the-sides me, this gives a smile on the face of the person I am meeting for the first time and then our conversation moves forward.  I have been asked, why do I say this? And my answer is “Why Not?” I have had students, managers and leaders remember me and the work I do, by this humourous line of an introduction! And if there is high-recall (meaning the next time I bump into the person, they can at least recall my name) then this is a million-$ intro for me. The Art of Focused Networking requires one to connect first, and then build the relationship into a long-term mutually beneficial relationship. And the challenge for most of u